Waterproofing of Bricks, Natural or Artificial Rocks/stones and water absorbent tiles
The use of stones and red bricks can make a property very appealing and distinctive. A stone clad structure has a natural classiness which provides it a rich and stylish appearance. Diversity of stones products encourages unlimited design potential. There are various usages of stones for exterior applications such as stone walls, columns, siding of homes, pool surrounds etc. But over a period stones or bricks surfaces lose their beauty because of salt blooming, fungus or alkali affects and other water related problems. To guard your stones or brick surfaces, a simple and economic waterproofing process can be followed.
Stones or brick surfaces can be waterproofed easily with the help of quality chemicals. Waterproofing experts use silicone base crystalline chemicals to make such surfaces water repellent. These chemicals can be applied by spray or brush with ease.
3 simple steps to make your stones or brick surfaces waterproof
- Cleaning the surface:
Before applying any waterproofing chemicals, stones or bricks should be cleaned properly with wire brush to remove loose particle. Any kind of alkali, salt, fungus etc. should also be cleaned from the surfaces. After cleaning the surface, it should be washed with water pressure machines with plenty of water and leave it to dry for 24-48 hours.
- Filling holes or cracks:
Proper grouting and sealing of any kind of holes and cracks should be done. Waterproof grouts or cement modifiers should be used in this step. For crucial sites, Epoxy based grouts can also be used. This is critical step in waterproofing process since if any holes or cracks are left it will lead to failure and money and efforts involve in waterproofing project would go in vain.
- Chemical Applications by spray:
After preparing surface, proper application of waterproofing chemicals is needed. Proper chemical ratio should be maintained to achieve desired results. All the chemical manufacturing companies provide knowledge such as chemical mixing, ratio and coverage. Make sure your contractor is not using chemical dilutions or less quantity of chemicals for better margin.
Advantages and benefits:
- After this treatment there will be no kind of dampness on the surface.
- This treatment will prohibit salt formation on surface.
- Water will not enter into the wall but it will let the moisture come out in the vapor form.
- Greater penetration will make it reach deeper.
- No moss , fungus and bacteria will grow on surface. Surface will be shining naturally as before.
- Walls breathing (air permeability) is good after this treatment.
Precautions for desired results:
- Chemical Quality: There are lots of silicone based chemicals available in the market but proper testing or sampling should be done prior to assign waterproofing job. There are various grades in chemicals. We should verify first whether chemical has enough strength to make stones or brick surfaces water repellent.
- Chemical usage: Silicone based chemicals are used to protect vertical surfaces, not for any standing water such as in water tank or swimming pools. We have witnessed various sites where local contractors used such chemicals in horizontal surfaces which proved to be waterproofing failures.
- Other than these, we should also take care about workmanship of chemical applications.